[Gllug] Virtual disk allocation advice requested

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Jun 30 10:12:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:39:34AM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > =Logic says that if use NFS, eg for /home within any VM and 'house' the
> > NFS server within another VM, that at boot time Xen will not guarantee
> > that one domain will be up and running prior to another being started
> > and thus the situation may produce a time-race condition.
>
> Yup, this is another reason not to use a server in a guest (although
> exactly the same problem may happen with an NFS server in the dom0 --
> how do you know it is serving requests before the guests start up?).

I would never run NFS or anything like that from a dom0; it's a waste of
the resources used by dom0 and a huge security risk.  If dom0 is
compromised then the attacker gains access to all the domUs.  Running
network services from dom0 just makes this much more likely.

For security, I prefer to have the domUs bridging across one physical
interface (or bonded pair) and dom0 accessible via a separate one (on a
different subnet and network segment if at all possible.)

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.