[Gllug] x server fail at boot

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Jun 13 11:54:12 UTC 2008

Dylan wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2008, Diana Scott wrote:
>> Hi
 >> does that mean i have to reinstall the whole suse 10.3 including
losing my
>> data files ?

Diana: you *do* have a recent backup - right?

> If you make a separate partition for your home directories then the data will
> not be touched by a re-install (or upgrade.)

s/will/should

I gave that advice to someone once and during the re-install they chose
to format and the whole drive as "recommended" by the installer. It was
a while ago now but the experience of calming them down while explaining
it wasn't really my fault has kind of stuck with me (They had a backup
as it happens so all they lost was time). ;o)
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk