[Gllug] DVB-T on Debian

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Jun 12 10:26:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:59 +0100, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> Justin Perreault wrote:
> > A week ago I reconfigured my main pc to allow me to play with the idea
> > of a HTPC(home theatre PC), I only configured it back to my normal
> > desktop a few hours ago.
> > I am so happy with the amount I have learned and the abilities in MythTV
> > configured distros, that I ordered the parts for my HTPC and will have
> > my DVD player swapped out from under my tv by the end of the weekend.
>
> I have an LG drive (DVD +/-R +/-RW -RAM...) that is also used to play
> DVD movies through Kaffeine (or MPlayer or Gxine). In borrowing library
> disks the machine has to cope with all sorts of abused media. As such
> some disks are found to be totally unplayable, but many others are
> 'marginal'. The LG drive/software drops out or 'jams up' when the
> dedicated DVD movie player seems able to carry on - perhaps with a short
> period pixel-blocked or with color errors.
>
> Is it a such a good idea to swap out your DVD player?
> Is mine common experience, or does it perhaps say more about the
> drive/software/PC/config abilities...?

I have avoided library or any other type of rental as DVDs come down so
quickly in price. Add the effects of places like www.cex.co.uk on the
market I can usually aim for no more that £4 a DVD. If I know I want it
and will keep it I am willing to go up to £7 for a new, if few months
old, DVD.

Mythdora has worked great for me playing DVDs and archiving DVDs. Step
1: Install system step 2: assign storage directory step 3: play DVD. I
plan to archive my entire collection after I set up a backend server or
two.

Your experience is similar to that I have had even with new DVDs on my
Fedora installs. The Mythdora install was surprisingly easy. My Fedora
experience might have helped but most of it was automagical.

The LG drive 'jamming' issue sounds like a hardware or firmware problem.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk