[Gllug] Mobile phone broadband

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Jun 7 07:58:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:31:33PM +0100, Tim Porter wrote:
> 3. Idle socket time out very low. The modem will stay online for hours but
> individual TCP/IP sockets will get shut quickly if not in constant use. I
> dont know if this relates to 1. above. This was only a problem for SSH but
> I managed to solve that by getting my remote servers screen session to put
> the time and seconds on the corner of the SSH window. Probably an SSH
> keep-alive option somewhere if I looked for it.

Check out ServerAliveInterval in: man ssh_config

and possibly ServerAliveCountMax

If you're on a tariff where you're worried about keeping the connection
open, or if you're being charged per byte or if you want to be able
to drop the connection for a day or two and then carry on typing, or
possibly even plug the laptop in at home/office and carry on typing,
I'd suggest trying OpenVPN and not having any ssh timeouts -- that way
the connection will be between IP addresses on you VPN, and will still
be the same connection despite the mobile provider giving you a different
IP address each time you connect.

Of course, it would be nice if mobile providers would just hand out a
fixed IPv6 address along with your mobile, but I'm not holding my breath
for that one.

Cheers, Phil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk