[Gllug] Simple Bash Script

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jun 3 08:08:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 10:41 +0100, william pink wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a script that checks for system load then sends a email if it
> is over a certain threshold ( Its a cut down version from the one on
> Nixcraft )
> Here is the script
>

> #!/bin/bash
>
> # Script to check system load and remove from cluster if higher than
> 6.0

Can I ask what sort of cluster?
If you use Sun Gridengine to distribute jobs on an HPC type cluster it
automatically sets an alarm level for load, at which point a queue on a
server no longer gets jobs dispatched to it.
You can adjust the load_threshold, and also set thresholds based on many
other values, eg. number of users logged into the system (so you might
have a cycle scavenging setup which only runs on idle workstations),
free memory, number of software licenses etc. etc.

You can set suspend thresholds also (say someone logs into the idle
workstation - the job is suspended. Or a higher priority job comes
along)

Similar settings for PBS and LSF.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk