[Gllug] setting up a web site for charity

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Mon Jun 30 23:30:34 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to set up a web site for the charity that i am involved. Can you recommend any good  web hosting company and packages ? what are the financial aspects other than paying for the hosting company that I need to know? how do people find the web page from google?

It all depends upon the size of the site really. We[1] use a dedicated
host from Bytemark but then we have around 45,000 visitors per month so
a budget offering wouldn't really cut it.

Whilst I've not used them personally, I know plenty of others who have
used http://www.freecharity.org.uk. As the name suggests offer free web
hosting for UK charities and are free software advocates to boot. They
offer much more than the usual zero-cost offerings and are very
knowledgeable and friendly.

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright