[Gllug] Mobile phone broadband

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 16:07:34 UTC 2008

> Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>>
>> On 2 Jun 2008, at 14:51, Dylan wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they can make,
>>> especially
>>> regarding the quality of service from the various suppliers, which
>>> 'modems'
>>> work with Linux and which don't (if any) and any gotcha's or hoops
>>> which have
>>> to be navigated.
>>

> Hi Vidar,
>
>    I've just got myself a three USB modem which I'm reasonably happy with

I too have a 3 USB modem - again the Huawei wotsit.  You can drive it with
Gnome PPP but a much better option is the Vodafone driver package, which
despite the name works for any service provider.  You can download it at

https://forge.vodafonebetavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

Connection speed is variable but it seems reliable (I've stayed on line
all day with it) and it's fine for a bit of light surfing or catching up
with your e-mail.

I haven't noticed any attempts to mangle the data - but since it claims to
provide an Internet connection I can't help feeling that any such attempt
would be in breach of the product description.

The eeePC recognises it and uses it without any additional software.

I went for the 3G / month package, but I'm starting to feel that 1G /
month would have been plenty.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk