[Gllug] SSL Termination and Reverse Proxy

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:41:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Anthony Newman
<anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
>> Ideas / opinions?
>
> Get one of each on evaluation and test it; anything else is conjecture :)

It's a good idea!  I'll see what Dell say.  My thinking went something
along these lines:

1) Most SSL implementations aren't threaded, so performance will be
directly proportional to number of sockets.
2) nginx is threaded, so will benefit from many cores.
3)Therefore best compromise is a 2 socket, quad cpu machine, with the
fastest processors I can afford.

Of course the other option is some kind of hardware crypto
acceleration board... I know these used to exist... do the still?  Any
idea how much?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk