[Gllug] eeePC and 3g

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jun 18 09:43:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:09 +0100, michael norman wrote:

> Thanks for that, I'll pass it on to son and girlfriend.  A quick look at the 3
> site gives you the option of white or black modems but doesn't go into any
> detail as to whether they are any different technically.
>
> I'm still wondering whether it (3g broadband) is worth doing especially given
> that the eepc will pretty much connect to wi fi anywhere and there seem now
> to be a lot of free ones (libraries, pubs etc)

I have an eeePC, and as of yesterday a new shiny Nokia E51 phone with
HSDPA. I got it connecting up this morning via the USB cable, but
couldn't get the Bluetooth connection (I think more of a problem with
the Bluetooth than anything else).

I'd still go for the 3G dongle. There may be lots of free wireless
around, but not as ubiquitous as you want it to be.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk