[Gllug] Old type versus new ADSL?

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Thu Mar 20 14:21:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 14:18 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 13:30 +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:
> > > ADSL 2/2+ is currently only available from LLU providers.
> >
> > Not true. I am using a BT line with Be as my ISP. I have been for about
> > 18 months now. D/L speeds easily 15Mb/s - sometimes I can connect @
> > 18Mb/s. Upload ~1Mb/s
>
> Be are an LLU provider so true.

Actually, yeah, you are probably right, as Be only have equipment at
certain exchanges.

> ADSL and the BT phone line are not the same thing.

Of course. However, ADSL is presented over the phone line.  LLU is local
loop unbudle yeah? So if a BT line has not been "unbundled" from BT this
is not a LLU line. And AFAIK Be do not provide phone services. And
generally speaking LLU allows the ISP to use their own network, so
probably cheaper for the ISP. Mind you I am probably teaching a granny
how to suck eggs here :)

Cheers

Iain

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk