[Gllug] boot/install errors ... "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 ..."

Chris Hutchison chris.hutchison at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 18:00:05 UTC 2008

Many thanks, Nix; I'll mail the problem to linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org
as you suggest.

I'm able both to boot from Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and DreamLinux
LiveCDs and to install them; though with the errors I reported (and a
bunch more in the syslog file).  Can't boot Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, or
Sabayon.

Am also able to boot from DesktopBSD and to install it; and don't see
any errors in the log files (which doesn't mean they aren't there ...
simply that, if they are there, I'm just not clever enough to spot
them) which may mean that, since DesktopBSD uses a different kernel,
you'd undoubtedly be right about it being a kernel issue.  I haven't
yet had time to play around much with DesktopBSD; but, if it gives me
no grief, I may well just stick with that and count my blessings that I
at least still have a working computer :)

cheers

Chris

> --
> `The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
>                                                    describes USENET
> --

Chris Hutchison
Richmond upon Thames