[Gllug] Backing up a collection of dirvish vaults to tape

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Mar 19 09:26:49 UTC 2008

I've recently set up a box which uses dirvish to back up various other
boxes onto a pair of RAID1 disks.  This means I can get decent backups
which happen automatically every night.

Being paranoid, I'd also like to back up the dirvish vaults to tape
every month, but I'm not sure about the implications of doing this.  One
of my vaults contains about 27G of files, which with 20 copies or so
created by dirvish takes up about 35G of disc space.  Dirvish uses hard
links so files which haven't changed don't take up any more space.  A
naive tape backup tool however is going to expand that to 540G as it copies.

Does anyone know of a tape backup tool which will handle files with
multiple hard links efficiently?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk