[Gllug] UPS Battery life

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Mar 12 13:40:30 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Currently, I have 3 boxes powered from a UPS which also powers the
network switch and ADSL router. When I am leaving the flat and expect to be
away for a few days, I simply switch off the UPS and the power failure
triggers a clean orderly shutdown. The switch gradually discharges the
battery, so the UPS is regularly (weekly) partially discharged, and
occasionally (2 or 3 times a year) completely discharged.

Clearly this is a Good Thing wrt my electricity bill, and other related ways.
But is it good for the batteries? I don't know what type of battery they are,
but it is a compaq unit which has been running reliably for three years on
this scheme, and was second hand when I got it.

Any information and comments most gratefully received

Dylan
--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk