[Gllug] Changing permissions on removable media

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 23 18:56:11 UTC 2008

John G Walker wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:09:23 +0000 Adrian McMenamin
> <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
>
>> Does it have a rw/ro physical switch on it?
>
> No. In any case there's no problem with writing to it, provided I do
> it from the right account. Just that I can't change permissions,
> enabling me to do it from any account,

What file format is it?  You talk about using it under both Windows and
Linux which suggests FAT.  If it is FAT then it doesn't understand the
concept of file ownership and so you can't change the ownership.

When you mount a FAT partition on a Linux PC you can ascribe a notional
owner at the time of mounting, but you can't then change it (short of
remounting) because there's nothing to change.  You probably need to
give it a suitable umask when you mount it so that any user can
read/write it.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk