[Gllug] Still struggling to set up IPv6 on a debian etch box

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 13:15:32 UTC 2008

John Winters wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>>> DG834G (version 3 IIRC)
>> Any luck with this John?  I just bought one anyway on the basis that
>> even if I can't get IPv6 working, it won't be any worse than the
>> Belkin p-o-s I'm using at the moment.
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding - I've been delayed in trying further
> and I've finally got around to it today.  I hadn't noticed there were
> more posts to this thread.
>
> Yes - it does work.  The router passes through the protocol 43 packets
> as required and I now have full IPv6 connectivity through my Netgear
> DG834G router.  I'm using A&A as my ISP and connecting to their tunnel
> endpoint using the following in /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto 6in4
> iface 6in4 inet6 v4tunnel
>          address <my IPv6 prefix>::1
>          netmask 64
>          endpoint 81.187.81.6
>          ttl 64
>          up ip link set mtu 1280 dev 6in4
>          up ip route add default via <my IPv6 prefix>::2 dev 6in4

Correction to that.  I found I was getting some odd routing problems so
I've changed the netmask line to:

netmask 124

Without that the gateway machine sometimes got confused about how to
talk to other local machines.  It might be possible to change the
netmask to 126 but I'm still feeling my way.  With so many bits to play
with you can get quite cavalier.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk