[Gllug] boot/install errors ... "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 ..."

Chris Hutchison cshutchison at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:50:13 UTC 2008

Good morning, all

first, let me call myself an idiot to save you the trouble of doing so
:)  I'm a very happy Linux *user*, but (though not a newbie) by no
stretch of the imagination a Linux *expert*; and have neither the
desire nor the intention of going back to Windows.

For almost a year I'd been joyously running Sabayon 3.3 (the best
distro I've ever used) on my Samsung X11 laptop until a few days ago,
when I decided to upgrade to 3.5 Loop1 and, at the same time, switch
from Portage to Entropy as my package manager.  Installing Entropy
(precisely following instructions at
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Entropy) seemed to go
fine; and did 'equo world' to update everything.

Left it overnight (it was clearly going to take some time); and, in the
morning, found my laptop had frozen. Rebooted ... and was able, after a
l-o-o-o-o-ng wait, to use the terminal but nothing else (startx gave
errors). Rebooted again, hit Alt+F1 and read the following:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1.c.2
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000 ... [etc]
intel_rng: FWH not detected
parkbd: no such parport

OK, so drastic measures: I reformatted the whole disk and started from
scratch.  I tried out a number of Live CD/DVDs ... Sabayon 3.3,
Sabayon3.5, DreamLinux, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu ... even managed,
in safe mode, to successively (even if not always 100% successfully)
install the last four of those ... and yet each time those same four
lines, above.  Interminable googling of each line has got me nowhere
nearer to figuring out what the problem is and how I might solve it.

I really want to get Sabayon back running on that laptop ... I love it!
  The irony is that the laptop, when I first acquired it, had XP
pre-installed and installing Sabayon 3.3 went like a dream ... so why
not now?

I'd be immensely grateful to anyone of you whose patient and
compassionate advice could save this old man from tearing out the last
remaining grey hairs from his frustrated head ...

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Hutchison