[Gllug] Changing permissions on removable media

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 19:28:06 UTC 2008

On Sun 23 Mar, John G Walker wrote:

> Good question. It gets auto mounted. I've not done anything special to
> actually mount it. It's just there, in the media folder, when I boot
> the machine.
>
> Maybe I should, specifically do something if I want to keep in control.
> But where would I do that? Fstab? And how?

   I often use KDE, and add an icon to the desktop for an external hard disc
or floppy drive. There is provision to change the r/w options through the
icon "properties". Perhaps lazy, but it works.
   I have noticed a problem with floppy discs DOS formatted on an Acorn
computer. The Acorn computer is happy to use any DOS formatted floppy discs,
but Linux computers will only read a disc formatted by Linux or M$, or a
cloned copy. Perhaps there is some oddity in the directory structure as
initialised by the Acorn, which Linux gets correct. Could there be something
similar happening with your external drives?

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk