[Gllug] convert .ts files to MPEG

michael norman michaeltnorman at ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 5 06:14:38 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 21:44:35 damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, michael norman wrote:
> > I have a number of ,ts files saved from my Humax PVR
>
> Those are mpeg2 (transport stream) and so already able to be played by
> most tools, you /may/ need to rename to .mpg first is all.
>
> I don't know the specifics of the Humax but I know that many Linux DVB
> things save the whole channel stream, before dividing the separate
> multiplexed channels in to each separate mpeg.  You might have some
> issues just using ffmpeg (which I also normally recommend as a quick
> tool to solve this sort of thing normally).  There are tools for
> dealing with that anyway.
>
> > I would like to convert them to a format that I can then edit out
> > the adverts and other bits.  I don't want to make dvds, just be able
> > to watch them without the adverts on my pc.
>
> I believe the team that were working on Kino were switching to their
> MLT (Mutton Lettice Tomato) framework, which would allow nearest GOP
> (Group of pictures) editing of many video formats, such as mpeg.  I
> don't know what stage that project got to.  But the normal way of
> doing this is to edit raw (or roughly raw) DV.
>
> You can use ffmpeg -i inputfile.ts -target pal-dvd output.dv This will
> create a VERY large .dv file which you can edit in many different
> tools.  I love Kino as a video editor, very easy to use, but can use
> vi keys for the power users out there.
>
> Once edited, special effects created etc.  You can export to DivX or
> mpeg4 or to a DVD format for writing straight to disk.
>
> Another possible option is GOPchop, which can edit some mpegs
> directly, but I've had little success with this.  I was able to do it
> on one special mpeg I found.  I believe I'd need to reencode stuff
> anyway before I could even use this.  Or perhaps extract a/v
> separately (lossless) and mplex them back (lossless), but this takes
> hours of effort.
>
> Another lossless option is to note the advert times as you whiz
> through the video in a player like vlc, xine or mplayer.  Then create
> a dvdauthor xml file, when you encode against this it losslessly
> copies only the parts of the video yuo request, in to a new mpeg.
>
> These last two lossless options are a lot of effort 1st time round in
> the Linux world.  Might not even be possible in Windows/Mac, but then
> it's also possible that somebody did a nice clean GUI based point and
> click for achieving the same.  Of course once you've scripted your
> edit tool, you can quickly do this over and over in the cmdline UNIX
> world.
>
> Personally I can rarely spot any loss in quality from multiple
> re-encodes, especially if I'm carefully using -sameq (ffmpeg tries its
> best to maintain the "same q"uality, even at a sacrifice of bitrate),
> or encoding to and out of, very large formats, such as DV.
>
> > Googling suggests some Windows apps that might do it, can anybody
> > suggest a Linux app I might use for this ?
>
> Some windows tools work under wine.  I've used DVDshrink for
> [...]

Damion

Thank you.  I have not snipped it for this reply as there are other issues I
want to return to later,

As of now .ts files play quite happily in MPlayer or Kaffeine, which is fine.
However using ffmpeg -i input.ts -sameq output.mpg
to covert to mpg works but the audio and video is out of sync on the mpg file,
Is there another option using ffmpeg at that stage to solve this ?

I have an XP installtion on one PC which I have had to use to get the files
off the Humax in the first place (installing XP in VirtualBox will not allow
the same function).  The recommended Windows app to edit and convert is
HDTVtoMPEG2 but I can't get that to work.  It is supposed to covert files and
give an easy editing option but every time I tried it just gave me an
unplayable file,  Googling around for solutions to that has left me none the
wiser.but I don't want to use Windows tools anyway.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk