[Gllug] BT Broadband

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Thu Mar 27 11:58:32 UTC 2008

Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:42:15AM +0000, Matthew King wrote:
>
>> Not to mention some to always avoid. I'd possibly put BT in that list
>> but it certainly includes Tiscali. From what I've heard it should
>> include Sky too but I've no direct experience, except that I understand
>> my uncle, who uses Sky, has a pre-configured router and has not been
>> given either the router or ADSL passwords. This is exactly the sort of
>> thing which rings alarm bells in my head.
>
> Errrm: how do you configure port forwarding then ? Or is this a 'dumb blonde'
> modem that doesn't do that sort of thing ?

Got it in one.

There's no need for port forwarding and I was only trying to resolve a
minor wireless irritation, (change the SSID), so I didn't push it. I've
no idea if I could have got the information eventually but not having it
up-front is not a good sign.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk