[Gllug] Changing permissions on removable media

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 15:00:47 UTC 2008

Can anybody explain to me why root shouldn't be able to change
permissions to anything it wants?

I have a removable drive, which contains backups. This drive has
followed me from a Windows 98SE PC to a SuSE 10.1 PC to, now, a
SuSE 10.2 PC. I have a number of accounts, each of which is backed
up separately via a script. The backup file should be owned by the
account whose backup it contains.

This system has worked when the drive was connected to the Windows PC
and when it was connected to the SuSE 10.1 PC. However, now it's
connected to the SuSE 10.2 PC the file permissions for the drive seem
to be screwed up.

No problem, I thought. I'll just manually adjust them via root. But It
tells me that the operation is not permitted.

Why not? My tiny brain was under the impression that root could do
anything. And, anyway, how do I sort out the permissions on a piece of
removable media?

--
 All the best,
 John