[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu May 22 09:03:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:40:28AM +0100, Vidar Hokstad wrote:

> On 22 May 2008, at 00:07, James Roberts wrote:
>> Time to open Win OOo Writer (2.4):
>>
>> - Average over ten trials: 2.4 sec (no tray preloader)
>
> Average is extremely misleading unless you reboot in between or make
> sure it's all paged out.

Something that nobody seems to have mentioned, so I will, is prelinking.

On Linux you can tweak your binaries with prelink (Debian and friends:
aptitude install prelink) and apparently get a decent speed improvement
(not that I know, I use LaTeX & vi or emacs for document production ;-)

>From the prelink(8) man page:

       prelink is a program that modifies  ELF  shared  libraries  and  ELF
       dynamically  linked  binaries in such a way that the time needed for
       the dynamic linker to perform relocations at  startup  significantly
       decreases.   Due  to fewer relocations, the run-time memory consump-
       tion decreases as well (especially the number of unshareable pages).
       The  prelinking  information is only used at startup time if none of
       the dependent libraries have  changed  since  prelinking;  otherwise
       programs are relocated normally.

Cheers, Phil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk