[Gllug] Office Alternatives

TreeBoy gllug at petethetree.co.uk
Fri May 23 12:28:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:56:39 Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> Interesting.  What version are you running?

When we first rolled out we were using 2.1.0 and we've upgraded every version
since. This may sound like a nightmare, but we use wpkg to handle our
installs/upgrades. We also use AutoIt to do our builds.

We are now running OOo 2.4.0. I use debian sid (32 bit) and at work everyone
uses XP SP2.

We use an externally supplied accounts system which runs exclusively on MS
platform: Windows Server, SQL Server and interacts directly with Excel. This
is one of only two Windows servers that we run.: the other is for HR.

> Very useful it is too.

Glad to offer some more info.

> > I would be intrigued to know what particular problems you are meeting.
>
> Sure.  Well, the auto numbering and bulleting just doesn't work.  Or
> at least is almost unuseable compared with Word.

Auto-numbering has been an issue to us too. We have overcome a lot of the
issues by producing little videos explaining to people how to get things to
work. (DebugMode's Wink is excellent for this, although our training team
suggest that it is unusable and so need something from Adobe.) But getting
something conceptual like this across is rather difficult in a video.

Having said that, I discovered that there were different issues with
numbering/indentation that people were getting when using Word too, but
people just persevered with it.

The key piece of info for people was explaining that numbering operates
outside the normal style paradigm. I found this particularly
frustrating/daft, but once I got it I was able to explain it  little more
clearly to our users.  It took me about two days of solid investigation to
get it right and be able to explain it to others who do not now how word
processors work. Thankfully I had some very eager guinea pigs who acted as
editors. It then took me another day to get the documentation into a usable
state.

> Excel and Word forms

Forms have caused us problems too, but we were able to assign me to rewrite
them in Calc natively. This was not cheap, obviously, but it did get over the
hurdle and now people merely modify the ones that we have already produced.
There was some significant resistance to this, because people did have to
learn new techniques, but this was merely a hurdle. After three months, we
discovered that generally only one or two new forms were being created per 6
months, so the transition was heavy, but the subsequent work was not
significant and people always went to the same people to get them done
anyway, so I just provide support to those specific people. They need help on
about one in six forms. These are *VERY* simple forms, although the users
think that they are complex because they cover more than one page. Individual
form elements do *not* change others. (In fact our users did not understand
the difference between a radio button and a check box: They perceive it as a
style choice.)

Some style issues are commonly solved by saving stuff as ODF as well. This is
not easy if you have to send things outside for completion though.

As an aside: all of our external correspondents that use Office 2007 (less
than 1% of the docs that we receive) have no qualms about expecting us to
install the relevant Office Viewer but would not install OOo themselves. This
does make my blood boil when we are their customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm
talking especially about eternal auditors!!!!!!!!!!!!)

> and tables don't import from Word/Excel - the formatting and spacing
> comes out wrong

I feel your pain. I really don't get why they don't fix this bug. Anyway, we
have only one style of tables in our org, so I have written a macro that
people use to re-apply the style once it has been pasted/imported.

We do not have issues with pasting Word tables into Writer, so I'm hoping that
does work for you.

> and macros don't behave.

Now that we are running 2.4.0, VBA support has improved markedly: We have
issues with about 15% of our in-house macros, About 50% run unaltered, 35%
needed minor tweaks (that were beyond the skill level of the original
producers in the Accounts team) and the rest were just not changeable because
no-one understood what they were supposed to be doing. This is one reason why
accounts run XL 2003. We still had to remove the security errors that 2003
had compared with 97: you would not believe how much self-modifying code had
been produced; Nor how much of it could have been done by using *VARIABLES*!

> Specifically with oocalc, on
> even a small spreadsheet, the computer runs slower and slower until
> ooo eventually hangs and has to be restarted.  We mentioned this to
> the guys at Fosdem and they just said: "yeah, we need to improve".

Finally,the speed of Calc is painful, but I've only met this on "large"
spreadsheets. i.e. ones with more than 1500 rows. I appreciate that this is
very vague, but I cannot really be more specific. Some workbooks with 5
sheets with 500 rows each are _generally_ quicker that one sheet with 1500
rows. The number of cols and calculated fields appears to be irrelevant.

We are lucky in that our main in-house app produces most summary data, so our
users are saved having to deal with this much.

> To be fair, this isn't on Windows.  We've had our worst experiences on
> Ubuntu 7.10.  I've run ooo on Centos 5 for some time and it only
> crashes once a week or so.  Which is too many.  I never had Office 97
> crash under windows.  We have an Ubuntu 8.04 machine, and so far ooo
> hasn't crashed, but the functionality still doesn't match.  For other
> examples, I'd need to ask my users, but two or three who were made to
> use ooo while their machines were being fixed cried and wept bitterly
> about missing functionality, especially in excel (I note with interest
> that your finance people still use excel).

I can't speak with regard to any of the Linuxes that you've used, but I can
say that we have no stability issues on Windows at all and I do not on Debian
Sid. I appreciate that this is not scientific, but it is true.

As for the comment about MS Office 97, I've seen some marvellous spreadsheets
that caused XL to hang on launch, or to crash on running macros. Funnily
enough, the crash on launch was *ALWAYS* fixed by opening in OOo 1.x and
saving the file again. (I used to get the same 6MB spreadsheet from the
Finance Director at a previous job at the start of every month prior to the
monthly sales review and have to do this process. I was an external
consultant at the time and saw some things that I really should not have.)

I have found that nowhere is the functionality lacking, except for the Solver,
but only one person apart from me in my org knows how to use that. In one or
two places it is found via a different method such as PivotTable->DataPilot.
And some is not as robust: especially support for "large" workbooks.

The crying and weeping happened here too until we explained to the Chief Exec
that we would be saving at least £100 a seat, not run the risk of an early
morning raid by the police if we fluffed up our licencing and that the
functionality really is there, but that these people were being intransigent.
We spent two days going through some of his stuff with him and he agreed that
there were no issues. Having him on our side, finally made people feel much
more positive about OOo. Funny that.

Our accounts team have to use XL for two reasons:

   * They use an externally supplied Accounting system that talks directly via
OLE to XL: we have no choice.

   * They have about 15% of their spreadsheet macros that they cannot rewrite
as they do not have the staff for this.

   * The key writer of their macros does not have the time/desire to rewrite
all of the old stuff and learn new stuff and write new stuff at the same
time. I understand this as he is really very hard pressed.

> Anyway, I think my question's been answered.  There isn't a better
> alternative to ooo for Windows, really.  I admire your bravery in
> taking the plunge.  Maybe I'll try again with a different user.

I can only agree with your conclusion for your situation, but I would say that
many teams within my employer felt the same way and they kept on whingeing at
management meetings for almost 6 months,. But, with the CEO on our side, they
were eventually persuaded that it was wrong to cry on and I do believe that
we have no outstanding negativity now. The biggest gain as that in OOo you
can always select "Edit|Repeat last action" which is what about 90% of our
users use macros for in XL!!!!!!!!!!

> S.

Cheers,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk