[Gllug] Office Alternatives

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Wed May 21 23:07:10 UTC 2008

Vidar Hokstad wrote:

> I actually use Google Docs for most of my needs these days, and the main
> reason is that it's _far_ faster for me to open up a document in Google Docs
> than it is to start Open Office (or NeoOffice) on my Macbook Pro unless the
> document is really huge (upload times, but then I only pay that cost the
> first
> time). Last time I ran OOo on Linux it was equally horrendous.

I don't understand.

Time to open Win OOo Writer (2.4):

- Average over ten trials: 2.4 sec (no tray preloader)

Time to open any of a whole lot of docs (*.odt): can't accurately time
it, they all are much less than 1 second.

Admittedly, this is on good hardware (Q6600, 4.5GB RAM) but I have
noticed no particular slowness on my Win Sony Centrino laptop which has
a single core mobile chip and 2GB.

Now to Linux speeds:

NXClient launch of OOo writer (2.0) on a Via C3 1 GHz 512 MB RAM:

- average launch over 5 trials: 9 sec (first two 10, last three 8 or so)
- open document: about 3 secs (not many docs available)

Sony Centrino laptop as above:

- average launch (2.0) over 5 trials: 4 sec (1st was 8)
- doc open: about 2 secs.

I knew OOo mac was suboptimal, but...

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk