[Gllug] Someone with a postcode database do me a favour please? Suspicious repeated disappearance of computer deliveries...

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sat May 24 18:28:36 UTC 2008

I've had 4 computers go walkabouts with Parcelforce - and this isn't the
first time. Frankly I'm getting suspicious about deliveries, and this
time I'm not letting it rest and doing a bit of sleuthing.

At present there is a large unnaccounted for box in the local
Parcelforce depot with the relevant postcode on it but they wouldn't
(for obvious data protection reasons) tell me which house number or name
is upon it. I know a few of the houses and inhabitants names but they
didn't tally (they said) and wouldn't reveal more.

If someone has access to a postcode checker could they be so kind as to
tell me the range of house numbers covered by the OX7 3QA postcode? And
ideally any names they could associate with those.

Obviously reply off list!!!

If this sort of thing can be accessed publically, perhaps someone could
point me in the right direction. This is private not business stuff, I
might add.

Many thanks if someone can assist with this OT request. If someone is
messing about in Parcelforce or in collusion then its for the benefits
of society as a whole if we can help pin them down.

I remember the days when post office employees where pretty
intrinsically trustworthy bunch (and did Xmas postie work for some 8 or
9 years as a lad and student). Days when it was a fairly decent job for
working class blokes compared to many other options, especially the sort
who didn't like a boss on their back all the time, liked to organise
their own work, and didn't mind being outdoors getting exercise - in
fact it was quite a well sought after job for working class men in the
1960s who weren't that bothered about high pay due to the freedoms and
exercise AND the benefit of being able to get the job done and knock off
for the day as soon as one could if one was a fast sorter and quick on
your feet - quite a privilege in many respects being able to get 8 hours
pay for 4-5 hours work for some real quick hard workers!

And misdeliveries were not tolerated either, so slapdash work seldom
occurred despite some people being amazingly speedy. One chap in my
small town sorting office could sort and deliver a difficult round in
3.5 hours that I never managed to do under 5.5, with me 30 years younger
and puffing like a steam engine - no idea how he did it to my
frustration (and that was during the Xmas rush too).

Nowadays it seems postal work is at the bottom of the employment heap
and attracts far too many staff to match its modern degraded status :-(