[Gllug] Segfault at Boot - RPM from Rescue System

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed May 28 10:23:08 UTC 2008

Hi All, I don't often post but.....

There's an XA_64 SMP system in a clients network that was running FC6
with 2.6.20. I suspect someone did a yum update and now the system
segfaults at boot with either of the two kernels that it has installed
(2.6.20 and 2.6.22).

The segfault is happens in rc.sysinit in a bit of the script where it's
tidying up and it does rm -rf commands on various things in /var.

This thread describes a similar problem
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/83720-boot-problem-fc6-segmentation-fault-rc-sysinit.html

Via a rescue system I commented out the "case" clause in rc.sysinit to
see if I could get the system to come up and but it then segfaulted on
something else in rc.sysinit :-( So it looks like there is some
disagreement between various utilities (rm, grep and so on) and the
kernel on this system.

I should have looked in the yum log, to see what had been done. I tried
to get rpm to run from a chrooted rescue system, to see if I could
manually regress the system, but no luck :-(

Any ideas

Ken

{little rant - and there was I saying how solid Linux systems are and
this is the worst mess I have ever seen one in!)

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk