[Gllug] Office Alternatives

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed May 21 12:03:19 UTC 2008

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> <rant>
>
> /me weeps! £350.00 fscking pounds for *one* copy of Microsoft Office!
>
> Openoffice is crap - unstable, not feature complete - the users just
> hate it - it isn't fit for purpose either as a wordprocessor or a
> spreadsheet.

Can you provide any details to justify this claim?  It certainly sounds
like you're describing a completely different product from the OOo which
I use every day, on both Windows (at work) and Linux (at home).

I teach and I've pointed dozens of pupils to the OOo download site
because they want an office suite for their laptops and they've all been
delighted with it.  I use it myself for all my spreadsheet and WP needs.
  I've never had it crash on me and find it very comparable to Microsoft
Office (better for one or two things).

A lot of my colleagues use Microsoft Office but I have absolutely no
problem sharing documents with them (although obviously, they still lack
the means to read standard format documents).  I can however read and
write theirs.

What exactly is your problem with OOo?

Cheers,
John