[Gllug] Someone with a postcode database do me a favour please? Suspicious repeated disappearance of computer deliveries...

M.J. Smith indigojo_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 24 22:52:37 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I've worked for various delivery companies and the calibre of staff in many of them has definitely gone down.  Nowadays it's definitely not old white working-class at all; it's mostly new immigrants and many of them don't speak good English.  Definitely I've found Parcelforce in south London (since closed) and Lynx (now part of UPS) in both Paddington and their new home of Kentish Town to be the most frustrating to work with.  The north London Parcelforce depot I worked at for a while in 2002 or so was pretty good to work in IIRC.

Generally, I agree with your assessment of how these kinds of jobs have lost status over the past decade or two.  In the case of the postal service, it has a lot to do with the internet and the fact that most people don't need to post letters anymore; they just email (or fax).  With other jobs, I think the fall from grace of the unions has much to do with it - there's not the pride in being "a worker" anymore.

However, I would not use either of the companies I mentioned to send anything valuable.

Regards,

Matt Smith