[Gllug] Trips or traps? A single home partition shared between

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu May 1 09:30:28 UTC 2008

On Wed 30 Apr, M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 23:16 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    You could leave /home/username in / but add a link to a separate
> > shared
> > partition that holds all except the specific personal configuration
> > details
> > for each installation.
>

> That sounds elegant apart from one slight hitch ... I don't really
> understand what you are saying. I've never used links, so don't
> understand them, and link to a seperate shared partition??? From each
> different distro when it boots up???

   You would need to format the computer with a partition set aside for
sharing, call it something like /home/username/files or /home/shared and
format it the first time, but then do not reformat it, keep the same
contents, for the second installation. If you already have a spare partition
somwhere you can mount that with a similar name. You would need to be root
to set the correct access permissions for the user(s) and group(s).

apropos mount
man mount
man fstab

   Is that something else I should add to my website at
http://www.overview.demon.co.uk ?

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk