[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri May 23 09:54:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:36:50AM +0100, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> Moving to OO Calc, I agree that the compatibility aspects are less
> successful, and I haven't had dealings with the likes of
> accounting/power users attempting a major transition. However
> forward-thinking MS-Excel investors have been pondering their future
> with (perceived?) uncertainties about M$'s future intent and risks of
> backward-incompatibility - unfortunately I have no facts or firm

Judging by this (on the vagaries of OOXML's financial functions):

  http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/05/fractured-yearfrac-and-discounted-disc.html

compatibility with Excel may not be all the helpful to one's financial
health, although perhaps this sort of thing is the reason that MS are
now claiming that they'll be supporting ODF before they look at
implementing OOXML.  *snigger*

Cheers, Phil.