[Gllug] Backing up Linux partitions to DVD for *easy* restore elsewhere..

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed May 7 11:24:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:43:59AM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> I want to backup a hard drive containing ext3/LVM partitions to
> DVD(s).  The idea is to give a third-party these DVD(s) so that they
> can make an identical copy of the partitions and data on their own
> workstations (using identical hardware).

I'm working at the moment on a free tool called diskzip which might be
able to help you.  It's for compressing disk iamges, kind of like
Ghost, and understands the underlying LVM / ext2/3 filesystem layout
so it can be smarter about leaving out blocks which don't contain any
referenced data.  At the end of the day, it's just a "smart dd".

Not sure how much this matches your requirements.  It doesn't deal
with the whole business of copying and installing on another machine
-- I'd just make a bootable live DVD with some shell scripts for that.

I'm due to make a first release / announcement soon (was going to be
yesterday, but other things have pushed this off so it may be end of
this week), anyhow I'll CC it to this mailing list.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat