[Gllug] Err, if parted fails to resize an XP partition, can one do it within XP with some system tool?]

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Sat May 17 11:15:42 UTC 2008

>> I assume s.o.o.l means so out of luck :-(

"Sweet out of luck" :)

>> I need to get the partition off one of these for backup purposes not
>> having any install disks to hand.

XP partitions are not generally movable without heroic (and ultimately
unsuccessfully) hackery...

> Seems that there is an xp utility called diskpart.exe

Ah! I'd forgotten that. But I STR that it only permits partition
*extension* not shrinking...

> Microsoft's help pages also try to explain Dynamic and Basic disks,

"Dynamic" disks, known hereabouts as 'PITA' disks, are an abstraction a
bit like LVM (except LVM generally works). It allows for a disk object
which can actually be on a RAID or striped or generally messed-up
underpinning. In our experience, the latter.

It's easy to convert a normal 'basic' disk to Dynamic but it is a one
way street.

 From MS:

"After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot change the
dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must delete all dynamic
volumes on the disk and then use the Convert To Basic Disk command. If
you want to keep your data, you must first back it up or move it to
another volume."

So if the previous user converted your basic to dynamic you are SOOL.

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk