[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon May 26 11:04:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:59:07AM +0100, Justin Perreault wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 10:48 +0100, Matthew King wrote:
> > John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:
> > : Microsoft has defined a road map for its implementation of the newly
> > : ratified International Standard ISO/IEC 29500 (Office Open
> > : XML). IS29500, which was approved by the International Organization for
> > : Standardization (ISO)
> >
> > Wait. That shit got approved?
> >
> > Were any of its problems actually fixed first?
>
> You must be behind on your /. . No, nothing was fixed the entire thing
> was fast tracked and there seems to be clear indications that Microsoft
> gamed the system to ensure it was passed.
>
> Some participating countries are pushing for the approval to be revoked.
> IIRC someone (UKUUG I think) is taking BSI to court for not following
> BSI requirements to allow such things.

Yes: UKUUG is seeking a juicial review of BSI. BSI are claiming that they are
innocent and want us to pay their huge legal bill (#24k). I probably should not
say much more - however please do support us: joining UKUUG would be a great help.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk