[Gllug] Office Alternatives

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri May 23 08:07:46 UTC 2008

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Sure.  Well, the auto numbering and bulleting just doesn't work.  Or
> at least is almost unuseable compared with Word.  Excel and Word forms
> and tables don't import from Word/Excel - the formatting and spacing
> comes out wrong and macros don't behave.

To be fair to OOo, it needs to be recognised that all these criticisms are
of the "isn't the same as Microsoft Office" variety.  There will always be
only one thing which is the same as Microsoft Office and that's Microsoft
Office.  Moving to a new package, whether a different suite or a new
version of Microsoft Office always involves some transitional pain, but
it's not reasonable to call that a fault in the new package, any more than
it's reasonable to call it a fault in the old package.

To say a package is crap because transferring to it is not painless is
rather missing the point.  By this reasoning, every new version of
Microsoft Office is crap.

>  Specifically with oocalc, on
> even a small spreadsheet, the computer runs slower and slower until
> ooo eventually hangs and has to be restarted.  We mentioned this to
> the guys at Fosdem and they just said: "yeah, we need to improve".

Curious - I run quite large spreadsheets in OOo and I've never seen
anything like this.  Most of my hardware is pretty modest too.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk