[Gllug] ndiswrapper help

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sat May 10 12:07:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 19:07 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 18:51 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Sat 03 May, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > >
> > > I hate the idea of using ndiswrapper, but the poor performance of the
> > > rt2x00pci driver is making me seriously consider it.
> > >
> > > But when I use ndiswrapper it says it detects the hardware and
> > > KWifiManager even says it can scan for my AP, but it refuses to connect,
> > > dhcp requests simply time out.

I think I have finally fixed this... so here's what appeared to work for
the benfit of people googling a solution to detecting APs but not
associating when using ndiswrapper

Deleted all references to the interface wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces

Then ...

reboot ... wlan0 comes up as associated with an AP (actually someone
else's unprotected essid "linksys" in my case - but no IP address is
assigned)

sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed

sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s:mykey

(failed at this point ... so:)

sudo iwconfig wlan0 key open s:hello

Now associated with my AP though no IP address

Did this in any case...

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid

sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.62.105

Now fully connected