[Gllug] On spam, extracting audio from an online flash video

F Andersen fendersan at aol.com
Mon May 5 20:01:21 UTC 2008

Richard Jones wrote:
> Don't know if anyone was listening, but I was interviewed about spam
> for the Radio 4 iPM programme on Saturday.  The programme is here:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/ipm/
>
> Shameless self-promotional plug over, the BBC also put up the full,
> unedited version of the interview on a site called "SplashCast"
> (embedded here:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/2008/05/spam_hits_30.shtml ).  Any idea
> how I can extract that audio for posterity?  On Linux??
>
> Rich.

I played it in Internet Explorer and there was an MP3 file in the
Temporary Internet Files folder. I've uploaded it for you:

http://www.dropfiles.net/files/1832/upload.tar

(I had to gzip and tar the file coz the site wouldn't allow mp3 files or
gzipped mp3 files)

If using Linux I suppose you could try the same but using Firefox. I
tried to play it in Firefox but couldn't find a temporary MP3 or SWF
file. I believe an older version of Firefox had an option where you
could tell it to use little or no RAM and to use disk cache instead but
this option seems to have been removed from Firefox 2. Also, Flasm
(http://www.nowrap.de/flasm.html) is a useful tool for disassembling
Flash .swf files.

Cheers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk