[Gllug] Office Alternatives

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Wed May 21 11:47:29 UTC 2008

On 21 May 2008, at 12:17, Jason Clifford wrote:
> <tongue in cheek>Google Docs</tongue in cheek>
>
> In what way is OOo unstable in your experience and what features are
> missing that you need?
>
> I use Gnumeric for spreadsheet but I'm more than happy with OOo for
> word
> processing myself.

I actually use Google Docs for most of my needs these days, and the main
reason is that it's _far_ faster for me to open up a document in
Google Docs
than it is to start Open Office (or NeoOffice) on my Macbook Pro
unless the
document is really huge (upload times, but then I only pay that cost
the first
time). Last time I ran OOo on Linux it was equally horrendous.

It's really depressing - I really _want_ to say OOo is a real
alternative, but
I've mostly given up on it.

Makes me long for the Amiga days - I could start a decent word processor
from floppies faster than OOo will start on my machine. Not that MS
Office
is much better (it _is_ better, though, as much as it pains me to
admit any
positive features in a MS product)

On the downside, Google Docs have some nasty formatting bugs (I have
one document, for example, that keeps getting large parts of text bolded
and underlined whenever I reopen it, no matter how I try to correct it)

Vidar

--
Vidar Hokstad
Technical Director