[Gllug] Debian Lenny NFS root woes!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sun May 25 10:46:06 UTC 2008

I'd like my machine to boot off a NAS box across the network, using NFS
for the root file system.  Since the box does not support tftp, I've
installed a small flash drive for it to boot off and use as /boot.

Following the instructions at
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompiling/ I've added support
in the kernel for...

       CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
       CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
       CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
       CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
       CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
       CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y
       CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y

... and the network card as per
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/NFS-Root.html

I then modified grub to use the following kernel command line:

root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=192.168.2.254:/mnt/ide4/telvin-root ip=dhcp

And modified /etc/fstab to refer to the new location of /.

The machine successfully boots, configures the network card and then
hangs for some time before generating an error message about /dev/nfs
not existing.

I can mount the share on other machines, and rpcinfo and showmount
produce the following:

$ rpcinfo -p 192.168.2.254
    program vers proto   port
     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
     100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
     100021    1   udp   1027  nlockmgr
     100021    3   udp   1027  nlockmgr
     100021    4   udp   1027  nlockmgr
     100021    1   tcp   2801  nlockmgr
     100021    3   tcp   2801  nlockmgr
     100021    4   tcp   2801  nlockmgr
     100005    1   udp    926  mountd
     100005    1   tcp    929  mountd
     100005    2   udp    926  mountd
     100005    2   tcp    929  mountd
     100005    3   udp    926  mountd
     100005    3   tcp    929  mountd

$ showmount -e 192.168.2.254
Exports list on 192.168.2.254:
/mnt/ide4/home                     192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0
/mnt/ide4/telvin-root              *
/mnt/ide4/public                   *

The logs on the NAS suggest that it's not even trying to connect to the
share, which I've confirmed with a packet sniffer.

The instructions at Documentation/nfsroot.txt haven't shed any light...

I've wasted far too much time on this and it's driving me NUTS!  I'd be
very grateful for any suggestions!

Take care,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk