[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Tue Nov 18 20:40:16 UTC 2008

"C. Cooke" <ccooke at gkhs.net> writes:

> Perhaps next time, instead of actually trying Ubuntu, you could search
> for a bug report for the problem that stopped you using it *this* time?
> If it's fixed, you can at least know that. If not... well, a comment on
> the bug report that it stopped you trying Ubuntu won't hurt anyone.

This is one of biggest issues with other distributions (and most
software packages) which Debian gets so right - submitting a bug report
(and commenting on an existing one) is so EASY. It can be done from the
command line if you've got as far as setting up a mail server. Even
telnet is sufficient if you're masochistic and know SMTP.

Why do the developers of so much open source and/or free software make
you jump through so many hoops to submit a bug report?

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk