[Gllug] Future meetings - philosophy

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 17:59:43 UTC 2008

David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> Should we bother organising GLLUG (physical) meetings - isn't the
> mailing list and IRC channel enough?

the meetings do serve a good purpose and we should continue with them.
what we do need is a plan and perhaps even a calendar of gllug meetings
on the web site, with other events of interest to gllug members there
too. that way they can put them in their diary in advance of other stuff.
zack and simon used to have the dates for about 12 months booked, with
possible speakers penciled in in advance. plus various announcements on
the lists.

> During LinuxLive, I wondered around various stands and talks 'taking
> names' of people who might be prepared to speak at future GLLUG events.
> If everyone holds the line and GLLUG sticks to a bi-monthly frequency,
> this list would just about take care of 2009. (yes, I'll be happy to
> summarise these ideas - soon)
>
> It appears 'a number' of (?old time) GLLUGers believe the interest in
> holding meetings has declined, that the organisation has 'moved on' and
> no longer needs a physical meeting point - and indeed there has not been
> anything like a regular schedule during 2008.
>
> However the majority of the folk coming to the GLLUG stand in the
> LinuxExpo's .ORG Village wanted to know 'when's the next...', 'what
> happens at...' - to a man*!

the oldies have maybe picked up skills and changed career, or been
promoted to more responsibility? means less time for meetings and
probably fed up of the word meeting because of work.

there will always be a newer generation coming through, some newbies and
some just wanting to listen to a few talks about things they'd been
meaning to do but didn't quite get the time. so the meetings will be
fine as long as they are well organised and publicised.

> Here's me poking a stick in the ant-hill: is the "Greater" part of
> GLLUG's name a word for "too spread out to meet centrally", or have we
> reached a point in GLLUG's evolution where the 'youngsters' want to DO
> something whereas the mouldy-oldies are slipping into ever increasing
> levels of abstraction or virtualisation - where do you stand on this?

the 'greater' part of the name has always been an advantage. several
people are from many miles away. the meetings have also served a
function of allowing people to keep in touch, chat and pick up tips.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk