[Gllug] recover deleted files

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 30 17:07:09 UTC 2008

On 30 Nov 2008, t. clarke stated:

> I didn't actually replace the rm command  - that was an oversimplification!
> The new command (rms) is invoked instead - the users are accessing shell
> commands from a menu system.
>
> Unlink is any event a system call so programs that use it would be unaffected
> anyway !

Programs never invoke the unlink() system call directly: they use the
entry point in glibc, and that entry point is a dynamic call, which
means you can use ELF symbol interposition to get in the way. (A google
for LD_PRELOAD will find many examples.)

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk