[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Nov 13 17:09:22 UTC 2008

Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Are you using it exclusively on server-class machines?

No. It usually breaks (for us) on desktops. I thought the *server*
edition might be more stable and it has a later kernel than etch
supports (without messing).

> Personally, the closest I've come to it not working on a desktop is it
> not having support for the  AC '97 sound chipset, which I had to build a
> module for. Admittedly, most of what I put it on would generally lean
> towards good compatability in any case (lots of intel and
> not-quite-cutting-edge NVidia).

We have had it not-work in many interesting ways.

Sadly we use new(ish) hardware, on new machines, so I usually am looking
for late kernels to support this. Ubuntu *should* be ideal but is
unstable IME.

> If I'm installing a server, it'll generally get Debian.

Well me too, but thought I'd at least try 'server edition'.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk