[Gllug] Portable and network storage.

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:11:17 UTC 2008

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:36:40AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> [...]
>
>> My Acorn StrongARM RiscPC does not even bother with a processor heatsink,
>> and has been running 24/7 for about 15? years.
>>

> So what? I've got a WRAP - a 266MHz Geode that's intended to run 24/7 as a
> router - and it doesn't have a heatsink either.

Obviously we should all just convert our linux based wireless routers
since they only take 6 Watts... (yes I did lots of measuring)

But the wifi routers don't have proper storage and can't connect to
external storage so I like my laptop solution.

Laptops are relatively very low power, they've had to be since
battery/energy storage technology is so far behind energy usage
technologies that they've had to be designed to be low power... which is
good.

I think otherwise, a tiny cheap nas style solution may be a good (but
not cheap) way to go too.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk