[Gllug] Spamassassin (again)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 17 23:20:14 UTC 2008

On 14 Nov 2008, Adrian McMenamin uttered the following:

> Thanks for the help with the previous issue. In the end I reinstalled it
> and it looked like it was running fine - my previous problems were because
> I was trying to maintain a site wide set of Bayesian tokens etc.
>
> Once I realised that it was an unequal struggle to maintain that and just
> copied the files into various users' folders it worked (or so I thought).

You could alternatively maintain the Bayes DB in a database, which is
far, *far* faster as well.

> Now, though I am noticing it (spamd) eats memory like it is going out of
> fashion and consequently - it seems when the box recycles its logs etc -
> will crash (having sent the usuage number up to as high as 40 and then the
> process bails out with an oom).

How much memory is that? Numbers, please...

... but the load average >40 implies that you have dozens of children
running. On a box with 1.5Gb RAM that will cause insane swapping: reduce
the child count drastically, preferably right back down to the default
of 5, and then psuh it up only when it asks you to.

How are you starting spamd?

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk