[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

gunzip emacs.el at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:54:32 UTC 2008

Alistair Mann wrote:

> I've always associated bad block issues with 'physical' problems on the
> platters rather than the normal, if unintended, operation of software:
> electrical spike damage seem to burn out specific blocks; physical
> damage such as head collisions and other debris see first a few, then
> later more and more blocks marked bad. Electrical and physical damage is
> not associated with any particular OS, so in my mind your drive failures
> and OS choice are coincidental.
>
> Cheers,

My question is whether the HFS+ filesystem directory is more vulnerable to
total wipeout when a few bad sectors creep in. Someone posted that ext2/3
creates several redundant copies of the superblock which may indictate
superiority in this respect but I'm not in a sufficiently informed position
to judge.

gunzip

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk