[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 13 16:01:20 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 Cillian de Roiste <cillian.deroiste at gmail.com>:
> decision. The other obvious one is the use of vBulletin. Why not
> support phpBB or any of the other open source forums available. I did

You probably know this but the choice to use vBulletin was made well
before ubuntuforums ever became anything like official. It was a
community member who made the decision to use vBulletin. I'm not sure
about the value of migrating to phpBB or even if phpBB _could_ do all
the things vBulletin does.

> add what was needed. Since Gentoo have run a massive and extremely
> useful forum using phpBB for years I fail to understand why it wasn't
> an option.

It was an option. An option that wasn't chosen. The following post was
made by Ryan about a week after he set the site up over 4 years ago.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5091&postcount=4

"I can definatly understand were you are coming from, however phpbb
was lacking some reliablilty and structure needed to integrate with
the mailing lists correctly and was also lacking some features I
thought were valuable to this forum.

I thought about this change long and hard and created a poll the
census was hey we don't care what forum you use. My thought exactly,
this is a great community at a week old and I can't wait for what the
future brings."

Interestingly..

Ubuntuforums: "Currently Active Users: 14475 "
Gentoo Forums: "In total there are 140 users online"

> Ubuntu are by no means the only distro to make decisions
> like this, and naturally many other distros use open source web

Ubuntu is a community of many users. Some users make decisions that
other people in the community disagree with. News at 11.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk