[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 11:02:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:39:52AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:05:55PM +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
<snip>
> Ubuntu probably won't gain much traction in the server arena because Debian
> already exists and Ubuntu doesn't really bring anything new to the party.

Apart from a 5 year support cycle.

>> I imagine the point of the server version is to eventually be competitive
>> on this arena, at the moment it seems that the server version may not be
>> ready for prime time. It took Red Hat ages to get there,
>
> I'm not all that convinced Red Hat has got there yet. All of the Red Hat
> boxes I've been asked to do stuff with have turned out to be a complete
> mess. And let's not talk about their cocking things up with stuff like gcc
> 2.96 and that specially-pessimised Perl 5.8.8.

Agreed on that. Although both RedHat and Fedora have got better,
the fact that you have to down the machine and boot from CDROM
is a really pain. Also the presence of third party software
usually leads to dependency problems that can not be resolved.

RedHat Enterprise systems seem to be designed to be installed and
not upgraded, and the Fedora release notes actually say explicitly:

"Doing a clean installation and then restoring user data from
backups is known to work better."

To be fair there is also an "un-supported" method of doing an
online upgrade using yum:
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

It's not pretty.