[Gllug] bulk tape eraser sought - central London Area

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:45:04 UTC 2008

2008/11/19 Andrew Farnsworth <farnsaw at stonedoor.com>

> I wonder what Guass rating you need to erase those tapes?  Many an MRI puts
> out a
> field of several Gauss to a range of many meters.  I have a friend who
> works in
> an MRI Research facility and his office is one floor down and an office or
> two
> over from the 7T magnet and he cannot run a monitor on the side of the
> office
> closest to the magnet.  Depending on the rating you need, you might be able
> just put them "near" the machine for certain definitions of the word
> "near".

When I were but a  PhD student at CERN  we had a 1.5 Tesla magnet - but this
was the second or third biggest magnet in the world, and you could
comfortably set up house inside it. In the equipment barracks next to it
underground (portakabins) the monitors on the computers had to be read by
tilting your head to the side.