[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:15:59 UTC 2008

2008/11/14 Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>:
> Chris Bell wrote:
>> On Thu 13 Nov, John Edwards wrote:
>>

>>> Ubuntu's 5 year support cycle for LTS (Long Term Support) releases
>>> allow for a more planned rollout on servers than Debian's unplanned
>>> release cycle.
>>>

>>    I prefer to have releases occur when they are ready, not because of the
>> calendar
> Seconded. Good work can't be rushed. You can do it fast or you can do it
> right.

Nobody is asking anybody to rush, but it is impractical to get base
reference distros once in a blue moon in a completely unplanned
manner.

Incremental releases (every quarter, half a year or yearly) with
whatever you have ready on them allows administrators to have
incremental points of reference on their installations, and most
importantly, to schedule upgrade cycles. Ubuntu achieves this based on
Debian, which hopefully will bring Debian way of doing things to
bigger datacentres.

This is very important IMHO if you are administering more than a dozen
of machines, and it is absolutely indispensable once you have more
than a hundred of them. With less than that a Sys Admin can track
changes more accurately, but if you are like me (or like most Sys
Admins I know) accurate track of changes is rather rare, because is
not an strictly technical task. Frequent releases take some of the
stress away from this onerous duty :-)

Debian is rightly regarded as a stable, trustable distro, but it
simply does not fit with the planning one is requested in big
datacentres.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk