[Gllug] LVM and RAID reshuffling advice

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 14:00:45 UTC 2008

2008/11/20 - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Jon Dye <jon at pecorous.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I can't see how to resize the PhysicalVolume.
>
> pvresize(8)

I can't believe that I hadn't spotted that command before!  I assume I have
to shrink my LogicalVolume first as it's currently the size of the PV.
 Ubuntu installer did that for me.

On a related note:

I have 2 drives currently but if later I decide to add another to the array
can I create a RAID5 now with only two disks and later add another disc or
should I stick with RAID1 and work out what to do later.  The RAID HOWTO
casually suggests RAID5 is for three or more disks but I can't seen any
reason why based on the description of how it works.

JD