[Gllug] Portable and network storage.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Nov 23 11:28:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:56:38PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2008, Richard Jones verbalised:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:16:47PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> >> I believe I have not yet said with sufficient loudness that you are a
> >> complete maniac for trying to use USB storage for *anything* requiring
> >> reliability?
> >
> > You keep saying it, but I haven't had any problems with reliability
> > and USB hard drives.  (Speed, on the other hand ...)
>
> You are luckier than me: every single machine I have ever bought
> corrupts data in transit at quite appalling rates (as in >1 bit per
> 10Mb).

I really cannot believe that anyone would ever use USB drives if they
corrupted data with that frequency.  I mean -- at that rate if you
backed up a directory of pop-length MP3s, every single one of them
would be expected to be corrupted.  MP3s have CRCs so they'd become
unplayable, and everyone would notice that.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat